SAIU COVID-19 Update
Urgent and emergent surgeries
- All urgent surgeries will continue and precautions will be taken to ensure patient health and safety. These surgeries are prioritized and scheduled based on the type of surgery and operating room allocations.
- If you had surgery scheduled during the Coronavirus pandemic, even if for urgent matters, your surgical date and time may change.
- If you have questions or concerns about your scheduled surgery and the current COVID-19 outbreak please call your urologist’s office during office hours.
Non-urgent and elective procedures/surgeries
- Some non-urgent procedures and surgeries are now proceeding. We are following the guidelines set by the Government of Alberta and Alberta Health Services. This guidance is subject to change and will vary by region and updates to pandemic modelling.
- Your urologist's office will contact you to schedule your procedure.
- It will take us time to catch-up on all the procedures that were postponed, so please be patient.
Many clinic appointments will be done over the phone. Your urologist will call you at a scheduled appointment time or within a predetermined window.
Precautions for patients who require in-person clinic appointments:
- It is important to maintain physical distancing at all times possible.
- On the day of the appointment, patients will be asked to wait in their vehicles or outside if they are more than 20 minutes early for their appointment. Otherwise, patients may proceed to the clinic waiting room, which will be laid out to allow for two meters distance between individuals.
- Family members (including children) or friends will not be allowed to accompany patients into the clinic, unless they are needed to translate or provide physical assistance for the patient. In such cases, only one additional person is permitted. The only exception to this is if your urologist has specifically requested that someone (eg. a spouse) attend your appointment with you.
- Patients will be asked to bring and wear a mask while in the clinic. Also, physicians and staff will be wearing masks during clinic visits.
- Patients will be screened for COVID-19 at the SAIU or sent to be screened at the entrance of the Rockyview Hospital prior to seeing their urologist.
Anyone not complying with the above or not maintaining safe physical distancing will be asked to leave the premises. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you, and appreciate your assistance in protecting your fellow citizens.